2/04/2009

The Wind

It's not just the name of Warren Zevon's last album.

It's also....Well, let me back up a second.

Baseball America has released their first ever 32nd team. This is a list of 17 prospect profiles who did not make the Prospect Handbook or the 31st team, which is the #31 prospect of every team. Confused yet? I know I am.

Anyway. There is a scouting report for an ex-Rattler on this list. This is where the wind comes back into the story...
Alex Liddi, 3b, Mariners

Born: Aug. 14, 1988. B-T: R-R. Ht.: 6-4. Wt.: 176. Signed: Italy, 2005. Signed by: Wayne Norton/Mario Mazzotti.

The lone Italian position player in the minor leagues, Liddi has struggled through two years in low Class A since ranking fifth in the Arizona League batting race at .313 during his promising 2006 debut. He has batted just .240/.306/.365 in 249 games for Wisconsin, but the Mariners think his opposite-field swing and the winds at Fox Cities Stadium have cut into his production. Other MWL observers criticize him for not making the necessary adjustments. Lean and athletic, Liddi shows impressive strength and power to center and right-center field. He often looks like he's feeling for the ball, but his smooth swing gives him the chance to hit for average as he matures. He's an average runner. He has a plus arm, soft hands and enough agility to make plays at third base, but he could outgrow the position. Liddi receives uniformly high marks for his work ethic, but he would do much to reassure his believers by playing well in high[-A] as a 20-year-old this year.
I have both bolded and italicized the important parts and done a little research. I have also added a [-A] where there should have been one.

Liddi at home '08: Average: .235/ On Base %: .312/Slugging %: .332/K's: 56
Liddi on the road '08: .251/.314/.381/59

Liddi at home '07: .230/.288/.395/ 63
Liddi on the road '07: .250/.327/.375/ 60

The wind! It's conclusive!

The wind? Really?

Will the the wind that blows out all the time in High Desert aid production while hurting his development?

7 comments:

THE KID said...

I was afraid you were going all Patrick Swayze / Dirty Dancy Soundtrack on me...ouch.

Home field wind disadvantage huh? I suppose crazier things have held prospects back (I can't thing of any right now, but i'm sure...)

I wish Alex the best, he was easy to cheer for.

Chris, do you know who those people were at the games down the 3rd base side with the Italian flags? Friends or family or just Italian fans?

I must now return my attention to the second must exciting day of the football year (first being of course NFL Draft Festivus which is only 80 days away), National College Signing Day (GO VOLS!!!)...errrrrr, i mean back to adjusting claims...

lilPops said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
parkside21 said...

Couple of things.

1.) The winds really can be brutal, you've got those jet streams blowing warm summer air off of the Nebraska plains, and they get swept up and swirl around off of the 2nd and 3rd decks of TWCFaFCS. It creates a real wind tunnel.

2.) You also get coastal winds from time to time rushing in off the banks of the Fox River.

3.) Maybe the semi trucks rushing by on Hwy 41 can cause brutal wind gusts.

4.) Perhaps it's just Chris opening and closing the press box windows constantly, thereby trying to stick it to Quad Cities.

5.) Maybe somewhere, far far away, Eddy Hernandez is still swinging.


All kidding aside, I wish Alex the best. He was one of the nicest ballplayers I ever ran into, at any level. He always seemed to be one of the first out of the clubhouse and was more than willing to sign autographs for kids (and a couple of us adults). Good luck in A+ ball and hopefully beyond.

THE KID said...

Parkside, You got an out loud laugh out of me with #5, NICE!!!

Chris said...

Kid, No Dirty Dancing. Ever. The couple with the Italian flags were Alex Liddi fans.

Daughter of our newest employee, Let me put this as nicely as possible. This post was not to denigrate, Mr. Liddi.

This post was to bring up the -- oh, what's a word I can use -- the ridiculisositiness of someone in the M's org telling Baseball America that the wind at TWC Field @ FCS affected the development #19.

The wind in California will help all of the Rattler hitters who move up to High Desert because it blows out constantly at about 25-30mph. The pitchers, well, that may be a different story.

Josh, have I mentioned that the press box windows in Quad Cities don't open? I'll have to do a post about that before the start of the season.

lilPops said...

Let me put this in the nicest way possible, Alex is only 20 years old, he’s still learning!!! He’s been at single A for 2 years and I have watched every game! He has adjusted to everything the Mariners have thrown at him. I think the California wind will do him good. Alex Liddi will make it to the big leagues, I guarantee it!
-lilPops
Liddi's #1 fan!

lilPops said...

Sorry I had to re-post my first comment, anyway…
Apparently I miss read your post and took it completely out of context…..
I must apologize if I came off harsh, but I will stand behind Alex and that team until the end!
63 days and counting… can’t wait!
-lilPops

Site Meter